Try a mini pineapple plant for indoor-outdoor gardens
Pineapple can be grown in high ranges, villages and orchards. If we could plant a little pineapple plant in a flowerpot, it would definitely be a centre of attraction the garden. Miniature pineapple (Christian pineapple) is the variety suitable for both indoor and outdoor gardens.
There are many different types of miniature pineapples. About 80 varieties which are different in the size of the fruit, length of leaves and colour of leaves are found all over the world. The pineapple leaves can be purple, pink, green and greenish pink in colour and the fruit appear in orange, white, pink, purple and red colours.
- The saplings bought from flower nurseries can be planted.
- The top portion of the fruit is planted for propagation.
- Also rooted tissue culture saplings are available in nurseries.
- Put some coconut husk in the bottom of the flowerpot.
- Fill it with a mix of soil, sand and cow dung powder in 3:3:3 ratio.
- Plant the sapling in the potting mixture.
- Plant blooms within 60-70 days of planting and the fruit emerge within 90 days.
Watering & Fertilizer
- Moderate watering is required daily.
- Occasional watering is sufficient once the new shoots emerge.
- The flowerpot need to have water draining facility.
- Mini pineapples that have rough leaves should get sunlight for 2 hours.
- Indoor plants and soft leaved ones need not get direct sunlight.
- Indoor saplings should be given granules of organic fertilizer once in a month.
- Give diluted cow dung, cow urine and groundnut cake solution for outdoor plants once in a month.