Sweet gourd is one of the sweet varieties of gourd. The fruit of sweet gourd has blunt thorns all over the skin. Its male and female plants are separate.
- Both the seeds and the tuber of the plant can be used for producing saplings.
- Sow the seeds in a mix of soil, sand and cattle manure and water it.
- Half of the saplings would be male and the rest females.
- The best method is planting the tuber at the bottom of the plant.
- It is ideal to have at least one male plant for ten female plants.
- The vine of sweet gourd should be spread on the support pillars or trees.
- Water the plants as much as required.
- Fertilisation can be organic or chemical as per the farmer’s choice.
- Sweet gourd will bloom within 45-50 days.
- It will be ready to harvest after 8-10 days.
After the harvest, the plant remains dried, but the tuber at the bottom of the plant will stay alive. New plant will grow from the tuber if it is watered properly.
The tuber can produce new plants for more than six years. Sweet gourd can be used to make curries, pickles and salad.