Reap goodness of Brahmi from home garden
Nowadays, different types of artificial medicines are used to enhance cognitive power of children. However, these products manufactured by multi-national companies do not possess as much qualities as they claim.
We have an indigenous herb that is proven to be effective for boosting memory and brain power. The plant locally called as ‘Brahmi’, ‘Seethakamini’, ‘Devabala’ and ‘Bhekaparni’, is known as Indian Pennywort in English. Its scientific name is Bacopa Monnieri.
How to grow
The plant can be easily grown in our garden. Brahmi is a perennial creeping herb that grows in marshes and wetlands. It has fleshy stems and leaves. Brahmi can be cultivated in the house compound by irrigating it well.
The small stems with roots are chosen for planting. The saplings can be collected from waterlogged fields in rural areas. Brahmi begins to flourish within a short time after planting.
Plant in grow bags or pots
Before planting the saplings, fill the pots with potting mix. Blend 3 pots of sand, 3 pots of soil, 3 pots of cow dung powder or 2 pots of compost and 1 kg neem cake to make the potting mix. This should fill half of a large size polythene cover.
There should a hole between the pot and the cover to channel out the excess water. Two or three Brahmi stems with roots can be planted in one pot. The irrigation should be planned in a way that always keeps moisture on top of the soil.
Once the plant begins to flourish, stems with leaves can be cut as per the need. When Brahmi plant is bought from outside, make sure it is not grown in filthy water.
Uses of Brahmi plant
- Mix 5 -10 ml Brahmi extract and equal amount of butter or ghee. Give the mixture to children every morning to improve their brain power and memory.
- Dry the whole Brahmi herb including roots in shade and grind into fine powder. Consume 1-2 pinch of this powder with honey to improve memory and brain power.
- Boil the whole Brahmi herb including roots in any base oil and apply it on hair to cool the head.
- Eating 2-3 Brahmi leaves daily will help reduce stammering.
- Juice of Brahmi leaves mixed with milk and licorice root is used as a remedy for jaundice.
- Giving 10 ml Brahmi extract every day can cure constipation in children.
- Having milk boiled with Brahmi leaves is good for treating fits.
- Add sugar or rock candy in Brahmi extract to cure menstrual diseases of women.
- Brahmi is also used to cure early aging and eye diseases.
- Milk boiled with crushed Brahmi is good to cure exhaustion of TB patients.