Have homemade chilli bajji with home-grown bajji chilli
Indian cuisine is famous for its craze for masala and hot tastes. One of the most loved street snacks here is chilli bajji which is made by frying bajji chilli in a specially prepared batter.
By taking a little bit of effort, we too can grow bajji chilli at home without using chemical manures and pesticides. With this, tasty and healthy chilli bajji can be made at home.
- Bajji chilli can be grown in both grow bags and flowerpots.
- Its seeds can be bought from vegetable seed outlets.
- Places where direct sunlight is available are best for bajji chilli.
- May-June, September-October months are ideal for cultivation.
- Prepare potting mixture with soil, cow dung powder, neem cake powder and some dolomite.
- Spread the mixture on a tray and keep ants away from it.
- Soak the seeds in pseudomonas solution for 30 minutes to speed up sprouting and resist diseases.
- Once the seeds are sown, water them moderately.
- Saplings can be replanted when they are 2-3 weeks old.
- Dipping the roots of saplings in pseudomonas solution before replanting is preferred.
- In terrace farming, grow bags are ideal for bajji chilli cultivation.
- Before replanting, fill grow bags with soil or coconut husk, dry cow dung powder, dry goat manure and dry leaves.
- Chillies can be harvested after three months.
- About 60-70 chillies can be plucked from a healthy plant within one month.
- Mix some neem cake in the potting mix.
- It is good to add 50-gram potash in each bag once in a month.
- One litre cow urine diluted in 10 litre water also is good for the plants.
- Soak some groundnut cake in water and use it as fertiliser after filtering.
- Insects can be controlled by sprinkling 3-5 percent strong neem oil solution.
- Fungal infection is likely to affect bajji chilli plants. Spraying water with force on the plant or spraying coconut oil on leaves can resist the disease to an extent.
- To treat root rot disease, mix 20 gram Beauveria fungus and 50-gram soap in one litre water and pour it on the bottom of the plant. Also sprinkle the same on the plants. This has to be done in the morning or evening.