Easy ways to deal with quick wilt disease in tomatoes
Quick wilt is a plant disease that affects tomato plants more commonly. The plant gets wilted rapidly after being infected with the bacteria. Resistance is more effective than treatment of the disease.
In order to avoid quick wilt from spreading to other plants, we can take some preventive measures while growing tomatoes.
- Remove and destroy the infected tomato plants from the garden.
- Water should not puddle in the flowerbed and soil should be water permeable.
- Plant tomato varieties like Sakthi, Mukthi, Anagha, Manulakshmi, Manuprabha, Akshaya and Vellayani Vijay which have high immunity.
- Avoid tomato cultivation in places where quick wilt disease was spotted earlier.
- Dip the saplings in Pseudomonas solution for 30 minutes before planting.
- Add bleaching powder in the farm in a ratio of 10 gram for one cent.
If the plants are already affected with the quick wilt disease, we have to control the disease by using some chemical compounds.
- One percent Bordeaux mixture or three grams copper oxychloride or one gram streptocycline mixed in 6 litre water can be poured at the bottom of the plant.
- Dipping the saplings in streptocycline solution for 30 minutes before planting is also good.
- Mix 20 grams Pseudomonas in 1 litre water and pour this solution into the flowerbed of the plant and sprinkle on plants to avoid quick wilt disease.