Collect seeds from plants properly, See it grow healthy
Seed collection of vegetable crops is very important as it affects the quality of the plant in future. Although the seed is of high quality, it may lose its qualities if not collected properly.
The first step of seed collection is gathering the fruit and letting it ripe. Each type of plant has its own way of collecting seeds.
Okra, Broad beans (Avara)
- Pluck the vegetable when the pod begins to dry up and split.
- Then collect the seeds from the pod and dry it well under shade.
- Rub ash on the seeds and keep it in an airtight container.
Long beans (Payar)
- Collect well-ripened long beans from the plant.
- Dry the seeds under shade.
- Collect the seeds and keep them in bottle.
Tomato, brinjal, green chilli
- Pluck well-ripened berries from the plant.
- Cut them into small pieces and soak in water for 24 hours.
- Rub them thoroughly till the seeds are separated from the berries.
- Collect the seeds from the bottom of the water and rinse them well.
- Dry the seeds and rub them with ash.
- Keep the seeds in airtight containers or 700-gauge plastic covers.
- Collect the seed grains of amaranth from the plant when they get curved and blackened.
- Spread on a cement floor or cloth to dry up in sunlight.
- The seeds are winnowed and then dried under shade before keeping them in airtight containers.
Cucumber, pumpkin, ash gourd
- Cut the pulpy area in the centre of the fruit that includes the seeds.
- Wash the piece in water thoroughly until the seeds are separated.
- Dry the seeds under shade and rub with ash and keep in bottle.
Yam, colocasia, ginger, turmeric
- In tuber crops, the root of the plant is used for sowing. If the root is collected for sowing, collect them only after the roots are fully grown.
- Dry them well under shade and cover the tuber with leaves of neem and orangeberry (Panal).
- Then spread sand or rice husk ash in 6-inch thickness on a dry floor.
- Put the tubers on this mixing with neem and orangeberry leaves.
- Again, they need to be covered with sand.