Herbs for health and flavour; plant these in your garden
Curry leaves, mint and coriander are a few plants which have medicinal properties as well as flavouring qualities. To make the lockdown period productive, grow a few plants in your garden. Here are some tips to grow the herbs.
Curry leaf tree
- Choose strong and healthy saplings of curry leaf tree.
- Plant the sapling in grow bag or flower pot.
- Replant the sapling to larger pots as the plant grows bigger.
- Make sure water is not puddling at the bottom of plant.
- Add organic fertilizers like cow dung, neem cake, lime etc.
- Ensure proper sunlight.
- Prune the tips to boost growth.
- Apply porridge water mixed with groundnut cake to boost growth.
- Tie the seeds in a wet cloth a day before planting.
- Cut the coriander plant's portion with roots.
- Dip the roots in the essence of drumstick leaf.
- Plant this in a grow bag filled with potting mixture.
- Choose healthy mint plants from market.
- Dip its roots in drumstick leaf essence or growth stimulator.
- Plant it in grow bag filled with potting mixture.
- Replant it after new leaves sprout.
- Irrigate moderately.
- Prune the plant to ensure growth.
(Prepared by V C Pramod Kumar)