Orchid has a prominent place in every garden. The wide variety of colours and designs make it different from other flowers. Orchidgrows well in the climate of Kerala. It has an important place in the flower market.
While growing orchid in gardens, we have to keep in mind these things:
- No soil is required to plant orchid. It needs flowerpots that have facility for draining water.
- Orchid is planted by mixing equal amount of dry coconut husk, charcoal pieces, roof tile and brick pieces.
- There are orchid varieties that require plenty of direct sunlight and some other varieties which need only very mild sunlight.
- Orchid will perish if watered too much.
- If the leaves turn dark green, it indicates lack of sunlight.
- Healthy leaves should be in light green colour.
- In case of excess sunlight, the leaves turn yellow.
- It is ideal to water orchids either in early morning or late evening by 8 pm.
- Some orchid flowers stay fresh for upto one month.