Adorn your garden pond with a lotus
Lotus is an aquatic plant loved for its big beautiful flowers. Scientifically known as Nelumbo nucifera, lotus is also nurtured as garden plant. The little pools created in house gardens are often decorated with lotus flowers.
- It is very easy to grow a lotus plant in our garden.
- Take the lotus seed and rub its both ends on a rough surface to break the shell.
- Fill a glass or bottle with water and keep the seed in it.
- Keep the container on a place where sunlight is available aplenty.
- The seed sprouts within 5-7 days.
- In one and a half month, it grows into a complete plant with roots and leaves.
- Take a large flowerpot or container.
- Fill half of the container with soil, sand and cow dung powder.
- Sprinkle some water into it.
- Dig a hole with finger and place the sprouted seed inside.
- Put some metal pieces to prevent soil from spilling out.
- Place the flowerpot inside a large plastic container and pour water.
- Lotus can be maintained indoors in this method.
Planting in tank
- A mix of soil, slush from pond and cow dung powder also can be used for planting lotus.
- Slush from pond can be replaced with bone manure.
- If you want to grow lotus in a tank, plant it in a flowerpot and put it inside the tank.
- To boost lotus blooming, put dried cattle manure powder in the water once in a month.
- To remove weeds and algae, cover some lime in a cloth and dip it in water.