PhD Admissions at IISER Trivandrum
Kozhikode: Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting August 2017.
1. Master’s degree (A five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological Sciences/Chemical Sciences/Physical Sciences/ Mathematics/ Bioinformatics/ Agricultural Sciences/ Veterinary Sciences or a Bachelor Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on August 1st, 2017.
2. The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10, or equivalent. According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided.
3. Qualification in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st August 2017: CSIR-UGC-JRF/ DBT-JRF (Category I)*/ ICMR-JRF*/ Ranks 1 to 90 in GATE (Ecology and Evolution) /JGEEBILS (GS-2017). Or the candidate should be eligible for DST-Inspire PhD fellowship.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal of 300-400 words, which should clearly state a research problem you find interesting to address and how you approach towards solving this. While applying online, please upload this proposal under the section "Statement of Purpose". Please note: This proposal does not need to be related to the research ongoing at the School of Biology IISER-TVM. The proposal will be used to evaluate your scientific aptitude and will be a major criterion for short-listing candidates for the interview. Your application will be treated as incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days. In case of a high turnout of candidates (more than 75), an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master’s level Biology questions for 70% marks and 12th level Physics, Math, Chemistry questions-together 30%) on the first day of interviews. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews. The final selection of candidates will solely be based on your performance during the interviews.
1. The candidate must have a Master’s degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or equivalent
2. The candidate must have qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on 1st August 2017 or DST INSPIRE Ph. D. fellowship
3. Previous research experience and quality publications will be considered as an added qualification.
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview.
1. Master's degree in Physical Sciences, Materials Science, Engineering (Biomedical, Instrumentation, Electrical, Electronic, and Communication Engineering), in areas closely related to the interests of the physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or equivalent is desirable.
2. Qualifying in one of the following national level examination with validity as on 1st August 2017: GATE/CSIR-UGC-JRF/JEST-2017/INSPIRE Ph.D.[a] Fellowship.
How to apply
Applicants should complete the online application form in the url http://appserv.iisertvm.ac.in/phd/. GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 200/- [Rs. 100/-] as processing fee through the Powerjyoti Account. Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, signature, community certificate and national level examination (CSIR/NBHM/Inspire etc) online.
After Submitting the application an unique application number will be generated. Candidates can download the application as a 'pdf' file for acknowledgement.
After Submitting the application an email will be sent to the refrees email address requesting his referee report to the candidate. Email will have a link where referee should fill the online referee report form. The candidates are requested to make sure with their referees that their reference is submitted online on time. Applicants are NOT required to post hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM. Last date of receipt of the application form is 30th April 2017.
For more details, visit http://appserv.iisertvm.ac.in/phd/index.php/application/view-ad/1