Malayali research scholar wins international award
Kozhikode: A Malayali research scholar in the LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) team, won an international recognition for findings on gravitational waves.
Malappuram Perinthalmanna native Prof. Ajith Parameswaran was named the Azrieli Global Scholar by the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR). He is the Associate Professor of Physics at Bengaluru International Centre for Theoretical Sciences - TIFR.
The award is worth Rs 50 lakhs. Ajith is the only Indian among the 15 researchers that won the award. He said that the prize money will be utilized for further researches on gravitational waves and for the programmes to propagate science among public.
Ajith completed his research from Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics in Germany. He was also a post-doctoral scholar in California Institute of Technology, the headquarters of LIGO.
View on mathrubhumi.com
READ MORE TECHNOLOGY STORIES:
- NASA probe to 'touch' the Sun will carry 1.1 mn names
- NASA study warns of freshwater decline in India
- Destructive soft corals found dying in Kovalam sea
- Study on ants, spiders on Varattar river banks
- ISRO completes final orbit raising operations of navigation satellite
- NASA set for historic first Mars-bound mission