Rahna’s arecanut leaf flowers outshine plastic counterparts
Kozhikode: For the wisest, opportunity galore everywhere. For Rahna, a young woman from a village in Kozhikode, the often-abandoned areca nut leaf turned out to be a treasure trove of opportunity when she started to make beautiful flowers from it.
Rahna, a native of Kinassery, makes flowers using arecanut leaf and shell with the perfection of an experienced craftsperson. She has also started to earn a good income from it.
Rahna displayed the flowers in a small-scale industries exhibition organised by District Industries Centre in Kandamkulam Jubilee hall here. She had collected arecanut leaf and shell from Gundalpet and Malappuram to make this beautiful flowers.
"All these flowers are made out of arecanut leaf and arecanut shell," said Rahna.
She also makes a flower baskets, bouquets and other decorative pieces using arecanut leaf and shell.
A single flower costs Rs 30. Price of other decorative pieces range from Rs 850 to Rs 1500.
These artificial flowers are in great demand at the exhibition.
View on mathrubhumi.com
READ MORE NEWS STORIES:
- More than 1000 turtle eggs destroyed in tidal waves; volunteers in distress
- A mother’s struggle demanding protection from sons
- Spot-billed pelicans start nesting in Kumarakom
- At a particular `spot’ on Kannur route, 8 persons fall off from train within 7 months
- The dog that became a statue after falling into tar poured by hartal supporters
- World’s oldest person dies in Japan at 117