MiG 29K crashes in Goa naval base, civilian flights disrupted
Panaji: A MiG 29K aircraft of the Indian Navy veered off the runway and crashed inside the INS Hansa base in Goa today, a top official said.
The trainee pilot managed to eject safely from the aircraft, which caught fire.
Arrival and departure of civilian flights at the Goa airport were delayed due to the incident, Goa airport director B C H Negi said.
The airport is located inside the naval base.
All flights are likely to be delayed at Goa Airport as the runway is closed for operations due to Indian Navys urgent operational requirements, Goa airport authorities said on Twitter.
A Mig29K aircraft with under-trainee pilot goes off runway while taking off at Goa airport. Pilot ejects to safety. Fire on aircraft being extinguished @DefenceMinIndia@SpokespersonMoD- SpokespersonNavy (@indiannavy) January 3, 2018
The incident took place around 12 noon and efforts were on to extinguish the flames.
Eyewitnesses said the aircraft veered off the runway before it could take off.
Flag Officer Commanding Goa Area Punit Behl confirmed the incident, but said more details would be known later. PTI
#WATCHFire on MiG-29K aircraft being extinguished at Goa airport, after the aircraft went off runway while taking off & caught fire pic.twitter.com/DAPAvHl6Iq- ANI (@ANI) January 3, 2018
View on mathrubhumi.com
READ MORE NEWS STORIES:
- We walked the talk on electrification, says Modi
- Bill in Parliament to give death penalty for accused in child rape
- ED files supplementary charge sheet in VVIP chopper scam case
- Govt ready for discussion on any issue in Parliament: Modi
- Under-construction building collapses in Noida; 2 killed, many feared trapped
- Rahul constitutes CWC; Chandy, Antony and Venugopal included